The State of Minnesota does not allow Bent Brewstillery to have a Cocktail Room. We are the only Micro-Distillery in the state that cannot have a Cocktail Room License. About 5 years ago, when the Cocktail Room law was written into the State Statutes, there was included a provision that says no entity or location will simultaneously hold a Brewer’s Taproom License and a Micro-Distiller’s Cocktail Room License.
MN Statute 340A.22 Subd. 2 (e), “No single entity may hold both a cocktail room and taproom license, and a cocktail room and taproom may not be co-located.”
We’re trying to fix this!
We’ve reached the end of our run at changing the law this year. Our bill is dead unless we get personal support from everyone we know. We’ve got until 3/29 to muster as much support as we can. I greatly appreciate all of you who have already contacted your reps but we cannot do this alone. Please share this will everyone that you can. Friends, relatives, acquaintances…Everyone that will take the time to send an email to their representative. This is the only thing that will save our bill. Background information can be found here: www.bentbrewstillery.com/advocacy/
- Click this link and enter your address to find out who your representatives are www.gis.leg.mn/iMaps/districts/
- The 1st 2 on the list are your state reps
- Click the “Contact” button
- Let your rep know that you support our bill, items to include are the following:
- Your address so that they know that you are a constituent. Believe it or not, they listen to constituents.
- You would like them to support SF158 (Senate file) or HF347 (House file)
- This bill doesn’t hurt anyone, not changing this law does hurt a small MN business
- Please help correct this 5-year old law that had unintended consequences
- Best is to write in your own words but an example is below
- Show the bartender a screenshot of your communication with your legislator for a $5 taproom token.
Dear [Recipient names]
As a constituent of yours residing at, [street address, city, zip], I’d like to express my support of Bartley Blume and Bent Brewstillery in regards to HF347/SF158. These bills will allow a holder of a Brewer’s Taproom License to also hold a Distiller’s Cocktail Room License under the same ownership and common location. The fact that all Minnesota Micro Distilleries are allowed to hold a Cocktail Room License except for Bent Brewstillery is inequality in legislation. This bill doesn’t hurt anyone, not changing this law does hurt a small MN business. Please help correct this 5-year old law that had unintended consequences by supporting these bills.
My sincerest thanks,
STAY UP TO DATE
Follow Bent Brewstillery via Social Media or Email List for news, updates, and calls to action.